Wednesday, July 14, 2010

In Retrospect

Let me say one thing first…  The trip was definitely an experience of a lifetime, and I recommend it to anyone interested in seeing American history at its finest; I also would not do it again.

Before I reflect on the trip, let me start with some quick random thoughts:

  • 123 degrees in the desert is hot, even if it is a “dry heat”
  • I was surprised (and disappointed) that we did not see more people driving the Mother Road
  • We met extremely friendly people everywhere
  • No scheduling, car or other problems of any type
  • To satisfy my “touchy / feely” friends, it was somewhat disheartening to see progress (Interstate Highways) literally destroy lives and entire towns

While we did the trip alone, I can see how it would be even more interesting with others.  Just the thought (and site) of multiple cars (Corvettes in our case) cruising through the towns and down The Mother Road would be awesome.

Our total time from Chicago to Santa Monica was 17 days, and this was just about right for us.  I can see two things that might reduce this time by maybe 2-3 days, but no more than that.  We specifically wanted to stay in many of the historic motels (Wagon Wheel, Blue Swallow, Wigwams, etc), so this shortened our travel distance on many days.  Had we just driven until we wanted to stop and then found a hotel, our total time could have been reduced.  In addition, when speed limits on Route 66 were 55 MPH, or even 65 MPH, I usually found myself driving no more than 40-45 MPH.  This was so that we could enjoy the scenery and easily make a quick stop if we wanted to see something or just take a picture.  By adjusting both of these variables, you could probably save the 2-3 days I mentioned above.

When planning our route, I tried in most instances to take the earliest alignment to experience the history.  Sometimes this wasn’t possible with the Vette because of the road conditions, but I did find myself driving on roads that I never thought I would with my car.  The “Sidewalk Highway” south of Miami, OK and “Dirt 66” in Arizona quickly come to mind.  I was very meticulous (some would say anal) when it came to planning our route.  I used Jerry McClanahan’s Here It Is! Route 66 Map Series for the turn-by-turn instructions, and actually created about 30 different itinerary files for my TomTom GPS.  The problem with this was that at many times my GPS either did not know the road existed, or thought it might be one way.  Using Jerry’s Route 66: EZ Guide for Travelers as the checks and balances, my wife was able to help keep us on track.  I can see how just winging it might work as well, but that’s just not me.

My biggest surprise was the total or near total abandonment of towns and buildings within towns.  I understand why, just surprised that it appears people just “up and left”; buildings (diners, gas stations, etc.) just left to rot.  Who owns these now?  Maybe there’s an investment opportunity.

By all means stop at the various places and meet and talk to the locals.  Their business depends on Route 66, they are experts, and want to talk.  Gary Turner at the Gay Parita Sinclair Station west of Halltown, MO immediately some to mind.  He’ll spend all day talking to you, and you will learn all the good places to stop and the people to talk to.

My biggest regret is we did not get to see or meet Angel Delgadillo while we were in Seligman, AZ.  Many people credit him for starting the resurgence of interest in Route 66.  It’s obvious why; once the interstate by-passed Seligman, there was no business.  He saw what was happening to his community and wanted to fix it.  Without Angel, Route 66 may just be another American icon in the history books, and not something you can experience today.

In summary, as the song says, “If you ever plan to motor west… Get your kicks on Route 66”.  You get to see some great parts of our country, meet new people, and experience the past, and see progress (or stifled growth, depending on your perspective).  I’m glad we did it, and the memories will last forever (or at least as long as our memories last).

Be sure to let me know if you have any questions, or want some help with your trip.

6 comments:

  1. A lot of people seem to think the Interstate-vs-Route 66 type roads phenomenon is something new. But this is just part of the evolution of highway travel in the US. I am speaking from experience going back to the 1950's. Towns and businesses were always getting by-passed by newer routes. Even large shopping malls were gradually abandoned when new ones came into being. New motels and restaurants, too, not necessarily as a result of the interstates. Bright side is that those "chains" are preferred by most tourists simply because they're so much better than the old "tourist courts".It's not so much loss of old things but the gain of new ones.
    This process has been going on for years. How many of the old "tourist camps" of the 1920's and 1930's can you find today. It seems to me the Route 66 enthusiasts are stuck in the 1950's and 1960's. That's all very well, it that's your particular interest, but there's so much history in the U.S. than just this era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, but you obviously missed the point. No one is "stuck in the 1950's and 1960's", and no one is dissing progress. I simply made observations about our trip.

    Get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would you not do it again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Why would you not do it again?"

    While we obviously didn't see everything, or drive every available mile, for us there is no need to go again. We enjoyed all aspects of the trip, but just don't think there is any more to be gained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog....perfect timing!
    A friend and I are considering a trip next spring in our late model (I'm looking at getting maybe an '08) Corvettes. We are figuring roughly three weeks for the trip west and an "express" run, on I-40 mostly, for the return trip east.
    I'd be real interested in your observations on taking the old alignments in a Corvette, as far as issues posed by the design of the car itself.
    I know ground clearance might be problematic in some areas, and I don't really want to totally destroy the paint on my car either!
    thanks for any guidance you might can offer us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Anonymous...

    Please contact me at kvozel(@)woh.rr.com, and I would be glad to speak with you; we can arrange a time for a call.

    Two quick points..

    1. In my opinion, 3 weeks to go west is a lot.
    2. While there are soke issues with the Vette, no big deal. My '04 is lowered about 1 inch, and only had one problem.

    ReplyDelete